If you damage, cut, break or see a problem with power lines, a cable, or power pole:
- Treat the power lines, cable, and the power pole as live at all times.
- Move back at least 10 metres and keep everyone, especially children, well clear of the area.
- If someone is injured phone for an ambulance immediately by dialing 111.
- Report faults to MainPower call 0508 60 70 80.
- Stay clear of an injured person in contact with the power lines, cable, or power pole unless MainPower confirms the power is off.
- If you are in a vehicle (including diggers or other machinery), the safest way to avoid electric shock is to stay in the vehicle until help arrives. If possible, drive the vehicle well clear of danger. You should only try to get out of the vehicle if there is another urgent situation, such as a fire. If you must leave the vehicle before help arrives, jump clear, being careful not to touch the vehicle and the ground at the same time.